Dr. Riela Provi Drianda is an assistant professor at the School of Social Sciences at Waseda University, Japan. She is currently investigating the development of family-friendly downtown as well as migrants' integration and social networks in urban areas.
Doctor of Philosophy
Spatial Planning, Environmental Science, University Chiba, Japan.
Master of Philosophy
Landscape Planning and Management, Environmental Science, University Chiba, Japan.
Bachelor of Engineering
Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Institute of Technology Bandung, Indonesia.
Working Experiences Timeline
2017 - Present
Waseda University Japan.
2014 - Present
Senior Research Fellow
Resilience Development Initiative Bandung.
2012 - 2015
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Chiba University, Japan.
2004 - 2005
BAPPENAS (Indonesian Ministry of National Development Planning), Indonesia.
Ministry of Public Work Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Drianda, R.P., Kinoshita, I. and Deviana, F. 2015. Perencanaan lingkungan perkotaan yang aman dari ancaman kriminalitas terhadap anak: Sebuah studi kasus dari negeri Jepang (Planning a safer neigborhood for children: A case study of Japan), Jurnal Perencanaan Wilayah dan Kota, 26 (1), 1-17.
- Drianda, R.P., Kinoshita, I. and Said, I. 2014. From the irony of gated play spaces to triangle park: A reflection on the impact of Bandung City's rapid development on children's independent mobility and friendly play environment. Children and Society, 29 (6), 637-650.
- Drianda, R.P. and Kinoshita, I. 2014. The safe and fun children's play spaces: Evidences from Tokyo, Japan and Bandung, Indonesia. Journal of Urban Design, 20 (4), 437-460
- Patilima, H., Widowati, M., Drianda, R.P (Forthcoming September 2014). Visi Kota Layak Anak (Child Friendly City Vision) (Edited by Drianda, R.P.), Jakarta: Pena Nusantara.
- Drianda, R. P. and Kinoshita, I. (2014). The Safe and Fun Children’s Play Spaces: Evidences from Tokyo, Japan and Bandung, Indonesia, Journal of Urban Design (Accepted)
- Drianda, R.P. and Kinoshita, I.,(2011), Danger from Traffic to fear of Monkey’s: Children’s independent mobility in four diverse sites in Japan, Global Studies of Childhood, Vol.1 (3).
- Drianda, R.P., (2010) The Issue of Stranger Danger in Japanese Neighborhood, Childhoods Today, Vol.4 (1)
- Drianda, R.P. and Kinoshita, I., Toward sustainable neighborhood: an Overview of Children's Play Spaces in the Urban Neighborhood, Proceeding of Asian Planning Schools Association, Tokyo, 19-21 September 2011
- Drianda, R.P., and Kinoshita, I., Toward Safer and More Playful Neighborhood for Children: Children’s Views on Neighborhood Safety, Its Playful Environment and the Role of the Community in Supporting Children’s Independent Mobility and Outdoor Play, Proceeding of Pacific Rim Community Design Network, pp.212-220, 11-14 September 2010.
- Drianda, R.P. City Planning Education for Children: Learning from “Kita-Kogane no Waku-Waku Tankentai” Activity in Matsudo City, Japan, Proceeding of The 16th Indonesian Scientific Conference, pp. 422-426, Kyoto, 25 August 2007
- Drianda, R.P. (2005) ‘Bandung, Make Over?’ Paguyuban Pelestarian Budaya Bandung, 11 May.
- Drianda, R.P. (2005) ‘Bandung, Netherland and City Appearance’, Pikiran Rakyat Daily Newspaper, 17 March.
- Drianda, R.P.(2005) ‘The Increase of Poverty Thread after Disaster’, Suara Karya Daily Newspaper, 5 February.
- Drianda, R.P. (2013) Children’s Longing for Natural Play Space in Their Daily Environment, Millemama Magazine, Volume 2, March-April
- Drianda, R.P. (2013) Children’s Play in The Digital Age: Reflection for Parents, Millemama Magazine, Volume 3, April-May
- Drianda, R.P. (2013) Outdoor Walk: Learning from Dandelion and Seasonal Flowers, Millemama Magazine, Volume 5, July-Sept
- Liaison Officer for the guest from Ministry of Woman Empowerment and Child Protection of Republic Indonesia, Graduate School of Horticulture, Chiba University (April 2014)
- Collaboration Team Member, Multi Career Center Chiba University and Virginia Tech University, USA (2012)
- English Café Volunteer, Graduate School of Horticulture, Chiba University (2011)
- International Study Group Volunteer, Graduate School of Horticulture, Chiba University (2010-2011)
- Collaboration Team Member, Graduate School of Chiba University and University of Wollongong, Australia (2011)
- Collaboration Team Member, Chiba University and Policy Studies Institute of University of Westminster, UK (2011)
- Assistant Field Surveyor for Professor Karen Malone’s Child Friendly City Project, University of Wollongong (Australia), Graduate School of Horticulture, Chiba University (January 2011)
- Liaison Officer for the expert team from Ministry of Woman Empowerment and Child Protection of Republic Indonesia, Graduate School of Horticulture, Chiba University (December 2010)
- Liaison Officer for the guest from Ministry of Woman Empowerment and Child Protection of Republic Indonesia, Graduate School of Horticulture, Chiba University (April 2009)
- Assistant Guide for the Lecturers of Udayana University (Indonesia), Center of Environmental Remote Sensing of Chiba University (October 2006)
- Volunteer for Nippon Asia Halal Association, a NPO aiming at creating a moslem friendly environment in Japanese urban environment, industries and tourism (2014)
- Programme Director, Millemama Community (2014-2015)
- Editor in Chief, Millemama Magazine, a media aiming at educating parents about children’s rights to outdoor play activities (2013)
- Project Leader, Azzahra Nursery Playground Improvement Project, Bandung City, Indonesia (2012)
- Founder and Activist of Millemama, Young mothers community aiming at the improvement of children’s play environment and their rights to outdoor play activities (2012-present)
- Contributor for C Rights Japan Newsletter, Volume 79, September (2012) in the article of 政府をあげて「子どもにやさしいまち」づくりを進めるインドネシア
- Translator for Child Friendly Asia Pacific Newsletter, Summer Volume (2012), Child Friendly Asia Pacific Network
- Cultural Ambassador at Matsudo International Exchange Association, Matsudo City, Japan (2008-2011)
- Volunteer for Historical Walk Tour of Kogane Elementary School, Matsudo City, Japan (2007-2010)
- President of Japanese Cultural Organization, Institute Technology of Bandung, Indonesia (2002-2004)
- English Guide Volunteer for National University of Singapore Students, Bandung Heritage, Indonesia (2002)
- Domestic Guide Volunteer for Historical Walking Tour, Bandung Trails, Indonesia (2003)
Visiting Researcher Fellowship, Awarded by Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Malaysia, December 2012
Top 10 finalists, Arthur Guinness Fund British Council WAVE Community Enterprise Competition, Jakarta, October 2012 (Millemama Community)
b>Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Awarded by Chiba University, Japan, March 27, 2012
Doctoral Course Scholarship, Awarded by Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan (MEXT), April 2009-March 2012
Master Course Scholarship, Awarded by Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology –Japan (MEXT), April 2007-March 2009